Saturday, February 2, 2008

Are you afraid of color?

Maybe it's the gray days of winter or the death caused by our President's lies, I feel whatever colors make me smile I want them around me. I just completed a series of paintings using color that demands my attention away from the real life ugliness. If you like the idea of getting away from reality, look at art, surround yourself with art that takes you to another reality, cre8 art that makes YOU happy.

Last night I had 3 art students of mine go to a closing art reception at Boise State University. Out of 110 pieces of high school art we had 5 pieces chosen to go into a show that galleried 60 works. My students were so proud of themselves as they should be! Their work was very strong and I imagined they could bring home a prize of Best of Show or such. But subjectivity was not on our side and another student won. What I did get out of the show was that even though I appreciate the jurors opinion, I felt very confident that my student's work was among the very best at the show. So, remember, art is indeed subjective. What makes one person happy doesn't neccesarily make another one smile. My mom always has told me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am constantly reminded of that.

I'm very proud of my students and their artwork. I won't change the criteria I expect from my students even though it did cross my mind after the jurying process was over. I will however, emphasis to them that they need to find that happy place in their art. That is our journey as artists.